Saturday, September 19, 2009

Coleman goes to class

I don't have a picture to post with this but Coleman and I started going to group classes last week. We're taking the Canine Good Citizen class at Animal Farm Foundation where I volunteer. I've dreamed of getting him his CGC (it's sort of a title you earn after you pass the Canine Good Citizen test) ever since he was young but we never found the right place to go for training in the city that I could afford and he needs to brush up on some of his behaviors. He has had trouble with being reactive to dogs when he is on leash so that has always been the main hurdle. In our first class though, he had no outbursts and stayed focused the whole time even with dogs on both sides of us that really wanted to come check him out. I am grateful that Bernice and Ashley made sure to set him up for success, even asking me at the door if he would do better entering the classroom last or before the room filled up. We might not pass our first time around (or maybe we will) but we'll be working hard for the next 6 weeks so we'll be as ready as we can.
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Kara said...

That's awesome, Hanna. I will be pulling for you and Coleman. Let us know if you ever want to practice in another environment -- bring him on over to HOD, and let us know if you need us to bring a "nice" dog to practice with. I think it's really great to have goals with our dogs, and admire your dedication.

hodge podge said...

congratulations cole! seems like just yesterday we went to kindergarten together. i am very proud of you and know you will be a great CGC! i could never do it since i don't like kids or dogs... love, your pal gertie